Edward X. Clinton, Jr.
Ed Clinton, Jr. is a principal in the Clinton Law Firm and focuses his practice on business litigation and legal malpractice. In 1991, Ed graduated, cum laude, from Harvard Law School. He was a law clerk to the Honorable Michael S. Kanne of the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit from September 1991 to September 1992. From 1992 to May 1996, he worked as a commercial litigation associate at Mayer, Brown & Platt. After working at Katten Muchin & Zavis, Ed joined the Clinton Law Firm in 1997 as a shareholder.
Ed has substantial experience in commercial litigation, including breach of contract, business torts, uniform commercial code, and creditors' rights. He also has substantial experience in the formation of business entities and the negotiating and drafting of the accompanying documents, including shareholder agreements, partnership agreements and operating agreements.
Ed also has experience in representing both plaintiffs and defendants in all manner of legal malpractice claims, including claims arising out of litigation, including personal injury cases and divorce cases, failed corporate transactions, and disputed wills and trusts.. Ed Clinton, Jr. also represents lawyers before the Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission.
In addition to his extensive litigation practice, Edward X. Clinton, Jr. serves as an expert witness in legal malpractice claims. He has written extensively on the subjects of securities regulation, consumer fraud and trial practice. His clients include doctors, lawyers, computer software companies, shareholders and corporations.Representation for Businesses, Professionals, Investors and Individuals
The Clinton Law Firm has represented businesses and individuals in Illinois for two decades. Their experienced lawyers are known as effective litigators, principled advocates and reliable advisors for a variety of legal issues. Their practice ranges from securities issues to professional malpractice to family law. To schedule a consultation and discuss your case with a knowledgeable Chicago business law attorney, call us at 312.357.1515 or contact us online today.
J.D., Harvard Law School, 1991
B.A., University of Chicago, 1988
with honors, Phi Beta Kappa
LL.M, Chicago-Kent College of Law, 2001
Tax, with high honors
United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar, 1993
United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, 1993
United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois, 1995
United States Supreme Court, 1996
Chicago Bar Association
Economic Club of Chicago
Union League Club
Seventh Circuit Bar Association
American Bar Association
- Litigation Section
- Trial Practice Committee
- Pretrial Practice Committee
- Discovery Committee
- Legal Malpractice Decisions
- Legal Ethics Lawyer
- The Business Law Blog
- "Federal Regulation of Securities," IICLE, Illinois Business Law Series (2017) Co-author with Edward X. Clinton, Sr.
- "State Regulation of Securities," IICLE, Illinois Business Law Series (2017) co-author with Edward X. Clinton, Sr.
- "Does Rule 41(d) Authorize An Award Of Attorney's Fees?" St. John's L. Rev., Volume 71, Number 1, Winter 1997.
- "Do Businesses Have Standing to Sue Under State Consumer Fraud Statutes?" S. Ill. U.L.J. 385 (1996).
- "Does the Consumer Fraud Act Require Proof of Reliance?" Loyola Consumer Law Reporter, Volume 8, Number 3, 1996.
- "Discovering the Work of Your Opponent's Consulting Expert," Pretrial Practice & Discovery Committee, March 1996.
- "Recent Decisions Under The Illinois Consumer Fraud And Deceptive Business Practices Act," 7 DePaul Bus. L.J. 351 (1995).
- "Move for Rule 37(c)(1) Sanctions in Select Circumstances," Federal Discovery News, Volume 1, Issue 8, July 1995
- Iron Mountain v. Principal Shareholders, (AAA arbitration) (1998-99)
- U.S. v. Hall, 212 F.3d 1016 (7th Cir. 2000) (pro bono criminal appeal)
- Martin v. U.S., 109 F.3d 1177 (7th Cir. 1996) (pro bono criminal appeal)
- Cady v. City of Chicago, 43 F.3d 326 (7th Cir. 1994)
- Bourke v. County of DuPage, 2009 U.S. Dist. WL 5183843 (N.D. Ill. 2009)
- BaliJewel v. John Hardy Ltd., 2008 U.S. Dist. WL 4425886 (N.D. Ill. 2008)
- LLDG Operating Co. v. Great American, 2006 U.S. Dist. WL 2024255 (N.D. Ill. 2006) (insurance coverage lawsuit arising out of directors and officers liability policy)
- Clemons v. Ferolito, Vultaggio & Sons, 2004 U.S. Dist WL 442602 (N.D. Ill. 2004)
- Learning Curve Toys, L.P., v. Playwood Toys, Inc., 2000 U.S. Dist. WL 343497 (N.D. Ill. 2000)
- In re General Instrument Corp. Securities Litigation, 23 F.Supp. 2d 867 (N.D. Ill. 1998) (securities class action)
- In Re Running, 1990 U.S. Dist. WL 304246 (N.D. Ill. 1990)
- Budd Co. v. Applied Composites Corp., 2005 U.S. Dist. Lexis 19090 (N.D. Ill. 2005) (breach of contract lawsuit against supplier of products)
- Evanston Materials Consulting Corp. v. Dancor, Inc. 2002 U.S. Dist. Lexis 5691 (N.D. Ill. 2002)
- Menard v. City of Chicago, 2000 U.S. Dist. Lexis 6381 (N.D. Ill. 2000)
- North Shore Medical Center v. Evanston Hospital Corporation, 1995 U.S. Dist. Lexis 18138 (N.D. Ill. 1995) (real estate dispute involving an office building)
- Reyna Capital Corp. v. LML Technologies, Inc., 2007 WL 1029099 (N.D. Ill. 2007) (complex contract lawsuit filed by finance company against software publisher).
- Daniels v. Beamon , 2012 IL App (1st) 110541 (obtained reversal of denial of child support modification request).
- Donahue v. North American Jet , 09-142 (Ist Dist. 2009) (obtained enforcement of an arbitration clause in a dispute between employer and employee).
- Randy Brown v. Universal Realty Group , 2014 IL App (1st) 140241-U (obtained affirmance of a denial of an attorney’s lien where lien was served late).
- Nizamuddin v. Community Education in Excellence, Inc. , 2013 IL App (2d) 131230 (obtained affirmance of an injunction order allowing a student to complete school).
- Jonathan Phillips v. DePaul University College of Law , 2014 IL App (1st) 122817 (handled appeal for plaintiffs who alleged that law school’s placement statistics were misleading).
- Rachelle Evans v. Illinois Institute of Technology , 2014 IL App (1st) 123611-U ((handled appeal for plaintiffs who alleged that law school’s placement statistics were misleading).
- Jorie Johnson v. John Marshall Law School , 2014 IL App (1st) 123610-U (handled appeal for plaintiffs who alleged that law school’s placement statistics were misleading).
- McAndrew v. Cantwell, 15-0126 IL App 1st Dist. 2015. (handled appeal involving the propriety of an attorney’s possessory lien under Illinois law)
- Baugh Dalton v. Brown, 2016 Ill. App. 1st 152603-U (handled appeal of jury verdict in legal fee cases)
- Swift v. Medicate Pharmacy, 2016 Ill. App 1st 152786-U (handled appeal of dismissal of complaint alleging that a dissociated partner of a partnership had the right to seek an accounting).
- First American Bank v. Goodson, 16-1122 (7th Cir. 2017) (handled appeal of Bank’s claim against attorney where attorney inadvertently endorsed a bad check – argued successfully that the attorney was not liable under the UCC or common law)
- Breach of Contract Lawsuits
- Business Collection Lawsuits
- Insurance Coverage lawsuits on behalf of businesses and individuals against insurance companies where the insurance company denied coverage;
- Sasso v. Ginali, 07 L 11337 (Defendant)
- Caldera Pharmaceuticals v. Bellows, 10-cv-00222 (D. New Mexico) (Plaintiff)
- Mangum v. Beeler, 2011 L 03988 (Plaintiff)
- Andrews v. Century National, 2013 L 8116 (Defendant – insurance coverage issue arising out of lawyer-client relationship)
- Freeborn & Peters v. Mazer, 2011 L 7810 (Defendant) (Defendant- legal fees issue)
- Vedam v. Law Firm of Barry Greenburg, 14 L 2107 (Plaintiff)
- Tinsley v Siegel, Greenfield Hayes & Gross, PLLC, 16-015898-CA (Michigan) (Plaintiff)
- Mazutis v. Karlin, 12 L 1405 (Plaintiff)